Re: Inserts in triggers Follow Up

From: Morgan Curley <mcurley(at)e4media(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inserts in triggers Follow Up
Date: 2001-07-25 13:09:54
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Well, I couldn't figure out why my INSERT INTO wasn't working so I went
with using EXECUTE and concat'ing everything together.

One other problem I am having in that proc is SELECT'ing INTO a var.

declare
id lookup_sports.sport_id%TYPE;
begin
SELECT INTO id sport_id FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause

id is always null

but the following works
declare
rs RECORD;
id lookup_sports.sport_id%TYPE;
begin
SELECT INTO rs * FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause
id := rs.sport_id

this doesn't work either
SELECT INTO rs sport_id FROM lookup_sports WHERE....some clause

Any ideas

Thanks,
Morgan

P.S.
good suggestion to differentiate my vars from my columns. For the sake of
expediency I named them the same so when I was writing the insert
statements I could just copy/past my columns list into my values list.

Morgan