Re: Continuous inserts...

From: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
To: Webb Sprague <wsprague100(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Continuous inserts...
Date: 2000-08-18 08:03:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

hi!

At 11:38 17.08.00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All.
>
>Shouldn't Postgres block while vacuuming, and then
>continue inserting starting where it left off? Is the
>time lag too much?

For me - yes. My app can accept some hundredes of ms time lag - not
seconds or, like with a VACUUM, minutes (I've seen it taking hours,
but that was a _LARGE_ table on 6.5.x).

>I am curious because I am going to build a similar app
>soon, basically parsing and inserting log file
>entries.

Rules do the trick - insert into a second table unnoticed by the inserter
client. See my previous posting for slightly more detail.

Greetings,
Joerg
+------**** Science & Engineering Applications GmbH ****------+
| |
| Joerg Hessdoerfer |
| Leading SW developer Phone: +49 (0)2203-962211 |
| S.E.A GmbH Fax: -962212 |
| D-51147 Koeln Internet: joerg(dot)hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com |
| http://www.sea-gmbh.com |