Re: setting classpaths in cygwin to use with java

From: Konrad Hernblad <konrad(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setting classpaths in cygwin to use with java
Date: 2001-10-09 08:57:48
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

At 07:02 01/10/09 -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Konrad,
>
>In the future, please keep your replies on-list to prevent dangling
>threads.

will do. sorry.

>On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:28:21PM +0900, Konrad Hernblad wrote:
> > although it didn't exactly solve my problem, it did prompt me to dig around
> > a little more. the problem was that i had mounted my c:\ as "/0" in my
> > cygwin/etc/profile file using the following command:
> >
> > mount -s -b c:/ /0
>
>The above is a very strange mount command. Do you know how it got into
>your /etc/profile?

i put it there. probably should have gone in .bashprofile instead? i
looked at the cygwin docs and it listed a similar command for mounting the
c:\ to the posix prefix of your choice.

> > (etc/profile)
>
>I don't recommend adding personal environment setup to the system-wide
>/etc/profile -- use your .bash_profile instead.

ok, thx.

> > CLASSPATH=/0/java/dev/myPrj
>
>Assuming that you are using Sun's Java (or some other Win32 JVM), then
>you must use Win32 and *not* Posix path:
>
> CLASSPATH=$(cygpath -w /0/java/dev/myPrj)

this works (if i add the -p option also) at the cygwin prompt. for example,

java -cp $(cygpath -p -w $CLASSPATH) JavaClass

* where JavaClass is the name of a .class file.
* also /0/java/dev/myPrj is defined in $CLASSPATH

this works, but it is very inconvenient to type this long command at the
prompt everytime one wants to run a java program.

>BTW, cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com is probably a more appropriate mailing list for
>these types of issues.

how can one subscribe to this mailing list?

thank you.