Slow access with PG 7.0

From: Jean-Arthur Silve <jeanarthur(at)eurovox(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slow access with PG 7.0
Date: 2000-12-06 09:03:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have a problem :
it seems that when a script access to a db for a SELECT (or table i don't
really know), postgres locks the db or table and other scripts cannot
access to this DB concurrently.
So it's very very slow when this script (a PHP4 script) is called by
several users...
it's so slow that even keyboard is slow !

My tables are not so large (about 500 records)

I don't use "Begin" and "Commit"

PG Version is 7.0, with SCSI HD with Adaptec 2940U2W card , on PIII 500 .

I used to utilize these same scripts on another server with postgres 6.4
(on Celeron 300), and there was no such problem, it was really faster !!

Le simple fait de passer par la fenetre ne suffit pas a la transformer en porte.