Full PostgreSQL installer for Windows

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, jason(at)tishler(dot)net, dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Subject: Full PostgreSQL installer for Windows
Date: 2001-09-02 14:28:50
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-cygwin

Hello friends,

I would like to inform you that I am working on a full PostgreSQL installer
for Windows.
The goal is to promote the use of PostgreSQL combined with pgAdmin II.

The installer is based on open-source NSIS http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis.

1) At first, I would like to automate the
/usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.2.README guidelines:
- test the presence of Cygwin / PostgreSQL executables (if not present show
a downloading link and quit installer),
- installation and startup of ipc-daemon.
- installation and startup of Cygwinsrv.exe under Windows NT/2000,
- test existence of postmaster account,
- start postmaster (possibly as a service under Windows NT/2000),
- initdb if needed.

2) In a near future, I would like to perform a minimal Cygwin installation.
- I have no idea what minimum software is needed. Any information welcome.
- Does the Cygwin licence permit it?

An alpha installation executable will be available in a few days.

I will probably need support for testing under Windows 95/98/2000 as I run
NT 4 (and Linux of course).
Any input (tricks, feature requests, NSIS feedback) from the community are
welcome.

Regards,
Jean-Michel POURE
pgAdmin Development Team