Small timezone bug fixed

From: Jeroen van Vianen <jeroen(at)design(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Small timezone bug fixed
Date: 1999-12-08 16:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was able to crash postgres 6.5.3 when I did an 'alter user' command.
After I started a debugger I found the problem in the timezone handling of
datetime (my Linux box lost its timezone information, that's how the
problem occurred).

Only 7 bytes are reserved for the timezone, without checking for boundaries.

Attached is a patch that fixes this problem and emits a NOTICE if a
timezone is encountered that is longer than MAXTZLEN bytes, like this:

template1=# alter user postgres with password postgres;
NOTICE: Invalid timezone 'Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page'
NOTICE: Invalid timezone 'Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page'
ALTER USER

I don't know whether the timezone should be reset to some predefined
constant (like "GMT") if an error like this occurs. This patch at least
directs the user in a general direction that something is wrong with his setup.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Attachment Content-Type Size
timepatch text/plain 2.4 KB