Fwd: Re: fun with postgresql

From: Ruben Fagundo <rfagundo(at)npv(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Art Spaziano <spaziano(at)usa(dot)net>, dlsilvia(at)mediaone(dot)net
Subject: Fwd: Re: fun with postgresql
Date: 2000-01-28 16:38:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Does anyone have any idea why this happened ?

I'm having trouble with postgresql. My script tries to do this:

my $sql = "insert into people (firstName, lastName, Email)
values ($V{'firstname'}, $V{'lastname'}, $V{'MAILTO'})";

but it gets the error: DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: Attribute don not
found . 'don' is the firstName value that I'm trying to insert. Even in
psql I get similar weirdness:

postgres=> select firstName, lastName, Email from people \g
ERROR: attribute 'firstname' not found
postgres=> select firstName from people \g
ERROR: attribute 'firstname' not found
postgres=> select Email from people \g
ERROR: attribute 'email' not found

But 'select * from people' works.

What am I missing? Is there a case-sensitivity issue? I'm using the case
for the field names that I see with a '\d people'

There are some strange things happening. In the past, I also updated a table, but didn't see the changes until the postgres was restarted. It seems like some things were coming from a cache that had not gotten refreshed. Anyone see any of these weird things before ?

Ruben
Ruben Fagundo
T:617/244-6136
F:603/452-3220