Re: [HACKERS] IPC Memory problem with Postmaster on BSDi 4.x

From: Roberth Andersson <roberth(at)jump-gate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] IPC Memory problem with Postmaster on BSDi 4.x
Date: 1999-07-31 16:22:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 00:11 1999-07-31 -0400, you wrote:
>> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
>> size=1063936, permission=600
>> FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region
>>
>> To me it sounds like it is using some kind of wrong argument with shmget,
>> but I don't know how to fix this. I hope someone can help me.
>>
>> This is what I get when I write ipcs ->
>> Message Queues:
>> T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
>>
>> Shared Memory:
>> T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
>> m 196608 5432210 --rwa------ postgres user
>> m 196609 5432201 --rw------- postgres user
>> m 983042 5432207 --rw------- postgres user
>> m 1376259 5432010 --rwa------ postgres postgres
>> m 131076 5432001 --rw------- postgres user
>> m 786437 5432007 --rw------- postgres postgres
>>
>> Semaphores:
>> T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
>>
>> If it's anything I need to do with IPC or PostgreSQL, please let me know
>> what and how, or maybe this is a bug ? I hope not, I love this database
>> engine and really wanna start using 6.5.1 asap.
>
>I am running BSDI here. Try using pgsql/bin/ipcclean to remove the
>current shared memory stuff. Seems the old version did not clean up its
>shared memory.

Thanks Bruce

I tried to do that and it worked just fine the first time, and after that I
wrote "ipcs" to get a statistical if it really was cleaned or not, but I
got this ->

Message Queues:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP

Shared Memory:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
m 1376259 0 --rwa------ postgres postgres
m 131076 0 --rw------- postgres user
m 786437 0 --rw------- postgres postgres

Semaphores:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP

Now I tried to use "ipcclean" once again, and I am always getting these
errors ->

ipcrm: shmid(1376259): : Invalid argument
ipcrm: shmid(131076): : Invalid argument
ipcrm: shmid(786437): : Invalid argument

I have no idea why, except maybe this could be something that is left over
since old and now the system doesn't know how to remove this Postgres stuff.

If anyone have any clue about what I can do, please let me know, I would
appreciate it a lot.

Sincerely

Roberth Andersson, Server Administrator @ Jump-Gate & Webworqs
Phone: 011-46-550-17864
Cellphone: 011-46-70-6422024
EMail: roberth(at)jump-gate(dot)com / roberth(at)webworqs(dot)com