[INTERFACES] JDBC escape problem

From: Rolland Crunk <rc(at)aenet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: [INTERFACES] JDBC escape problem
Date: 1999-07-08 07:56:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I'm encountering a problem with the implementation of escapes using
the 6.5 JDBC driver. If I attempt to insert a timestamp value using
the following syntax, I get an error from the postgreSQL parser complaining
about the '{' character:

stmt.executeUpdate("insert into tstest values ( { ts '1999-07-07 00:00:00' } )");

However, the following statement works:

stmt.executeUpdate("insert into tstest values ( '{ ts 1999-07-07 00:00:00 }' )");

Unfortunately, the former is the correct syntax where the second isn't.

>From what I could determine tracing the code, there is no escape processing
performed in the PostgreSQL jdbc driver, and the error is originating from the
database backend.

I thought it unusual that I didn't see reference to this problem in the mail
archives (though I admit I only went back a few months). Is this a known
problem?

What are the consequences of fixing it in the back-end? Will it break other
drivers that depend on this syntax?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

rc