Dealing with large query results

From: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Dealing with large query results
Date: 1999-02-08 20:06:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Greetings,

I keep seeing reference to an 8K limit on query results. So how to deal
with query results greater than 8K? Am I under the wrong impression that
when you run a query from, say libpq, that each retch row is returned only
when you execute a fetchrow? Or is the whole query stuffed in to a buffer
which has an 8K limit?

I have to deal with some queries that create a huge result, and/or doing
reports requires a large result set. How can I deal with these larger results?

I'll probably get flamed for asking this one but, how can I step through a
table? Hey, sometimes you just have to do it.

Thanks,
Matthew