Re: Large Objects in table

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large Objects in table
Date: 2005-11-18 21:23:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Roland Giesler" wrote:

>How does one create a BLOB in postgres? V. 8.0.3
>
>I have read about cio's and lo in previous versions, but cannot find detail
>about how to do it in pg8.
>
>I would like to store different report layouts in a column of a tables
>called 'reports', but somehow the datatype elludes me.

How big are there reports?

If they are not too big, why don't you just use "bytea"?
See chapter "8.4. Binary Data Types"

Rainer

PS: I was struggling along the same lines, because when starting with postgres
the documentation seems to suggest to use the lo type for BLOB's (Chapter 28.
Large Objects). But I really could not find any reason to use them if the
objects are small (up to 200 KB).

Can any experienced Postgres user perhaps shed a light on this?