commit after select

From: bob1234(at)pi(dot)be (Bob Bie)
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: commit after select
Date: 2004-04-04 17:24:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

I'm writing a java program that uses transactions. For this reason I
turned of the autocimmit in java (sqlConnection.setAutocommit(false);)
This seems to work but now he also seems to lock the tables when I
only do a select. I can solve this bij doing a commit after each
select.

I only want to know if it is normal that I have to do a commit after a
select.
I use java 1.4.2_01 and postgres 7.3. The jdbc driver I use is called
pg73jdbc3.

Thanx in advance,
Bob