Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc

From: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date: 2016-04-24 19:27:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 04/24/2016 03:16 PM, Christian Ullrich wrote:

>> * Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> msvcr120.dll seems to be the highest numbered one on my system, and we
>>> already cover that. If you like we can add to the comments in that file.
>>
>> There won't be a higher one, with VS 2015, CRT became a system
>> component, namely, UCRT. However, ucrtbase.dll does export putenv, so
>> it might need to be added.

> OK. Does that mean we won't have to add anything more for future VS
> releases?

Microsoft is swearing up one side and down the other that they will keep
binary compatibility forever, and ever, hallelujah, hallelujah, and
hence the name of the DLL is not expected to change again.

OTOH, the next manager of the development tools division might have
different ideas. You never know.

--
Christian