Re: Alpha release this week?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Alpha release this week?
Date: 2010-03-31 02:32:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> At the risk of being blunt, AFAICT, the delay in getting to beta has
> little or nothing to do with testing and everything to do with the
> fact that streaming replication got committed with a long list of open
> items two months ago, and many of them haven't been fixed yet.  Hot
> Standby has a few warts too, but I think Simon has done a better job
> cleaning up the loose ends there (with help from Tom and Heikki), no
> doubt because he got it committed two months sooner than SR.  From a
> project management point of view, it seems to me that we shouldn't
> commit major patches late in the release cycle unless someone has the
> time to actually get them finished and stable.  If Streaming
> Replication were any other patch, we would have reverted it a month
> ago.  As it is, it looks like we're going to be waiting until Heikki
> has time to deal with the issues, because it doesn't look like any of
> the other committers are able/willing to help.

I believe that anyone except Heikki & me can deal with the following
issues since they started with SR but actually are not tied up to SR ;)

* dblink and walreceiver are not interruptible on win32
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01672.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-03/msg00413.php

* smart shutdown during recovery gets stuck
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02044.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-03/msg01208.php

* pg_xlogfile_name() might report the wrong name
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01806.php

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao