Re: testing cvs HEAD - HS/SR - xlog timeline 0 pg_xlogfile_name_offset

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: testing cvs HEAD - HS/SR - xlog timeline 0 pg_xlogfile_name_offset
Date: 2010-02-25 09:25:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> A quick fix would be to just throw an error if you try to use
> pg_xlog_filename() during hot standby. But there seems to be good
> reasons to call pg_xlog_filename() during hot standby, given that both
> of you ran into the same issue. What exactly were you trying to achieve
> with it?

Nothing ;) Frankly I just found that problem while testing the
combination of SR and system administration functions. But on
second thought, calling pg_xlogfile_name() during HS seems useful
to remove old WAL files from the archive that is shared from
multiple standbys. In this case, '%r' in restore_command cannot
be used, so we would need to calculate the name of the WAL files
that are not required for the subsequent recovery yet by using
pg_xlogfile_name() and pg_controldata etc.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center