Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Date: 2010-02-01 02:49:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> HOWEVER, I do believe this is an issue we could live with for 9.0 if
>> it's going to lead to a whole lot of additional debugging of SR. But if
>> it's an easy fix, it'll avoid a lot of complaints on pgsql-general.
>
> I think that the latter statement is right.

Though we've not reached consensus on smart shutdown during
recovery yet, I wrote the patch that changes its behavior:
shut down the server (including the startup process and the
walreceiver) as soon as all read-only connections have died.
The code is also available in the 'replication' branch in
my git repository.

And, let's discuss whether something like the attached patch
is required for v9.0 or not.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
new_smart_shutdown_20100201.patch text/x-patch 2.1 KB