Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Date: 2010-01-21 01:40:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> I've been working on my demo, and I'm discovering that due to the
> connection from the walsender and walreceiver, "smart" shutdown from
> pg_ctl doesn't work if replication is active.
>
> This seems worth fixing; if we don't fix it, we should at least document it.
>
> Comments?

Thanks for the report.

Which servers (primary or standby) did you try a "smart" shutdown on?

If it's "primary", could you show me the reproducible test set? At least
in my box, a "smart" shutdown on the primary works fine.

If it's "standby", it's a previously-existing behavior that a "smart"
shutdown doesn't work immediately during recovery. After a recovery
has been completed, it would work. Of course, I agree that such a
behavior should be documented.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao