Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Streaming replication, and walsender during recovery
Date: 2010-01-18 05:19:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

When I configured a cascaded standby (i.e, made the additional
standby server connect to the standby), I got the following
errors, and a cascaded standby didn't start replication.

ERROR: timeline 0 of the primary does not match recovery target timeline 1

I didn't care about that case so far. To avoid a confusing error
message, we should forbid a startup of walsender during recovery,
and emit a suitable message? Or support such cascade-configuration?
Though I don't think that the latter is difficult to be implemented,
ISTM it's not the time to do that now.

Thought?

Regards,

--