Re: ACK from walreceiver to walsender

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ACK from walreceiver to walsender
Date: 2010-01-08 12:44:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> There's no guarantee walreceiver will read the 'X' before trying to
> write() to the socket, so we can't rely on that to determine whether to
> suppress the "could not send data to client" message.

s/walreceiver/walsender?

> We could try to read() from the socket after the write() has failed, to
> see if there's an 'X' message pending. Not sure it's worth it. I think
> we would have to put the socket into non-blocking mode before the
> read(), to avoid blocking if the write() failed for some other reason.
> Or select() to see if there's incoming data. I'm inclined to just not
> bother..

Umm.. if no action is taken, walsender process would remain until
it tries to write to the socket in that case. Is this OK? I think that this
is more problematic rather than output of the "could not send data
to client" message.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao