Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?
Date: 2009-12-22 05:40:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I don't think it's worthwhile to modify pg_stop_backup() like that. We
> should address the general problem. At the moment, you're fine if you
> also configure WAL archiving and log file shipping, but it would be nice
> to have some simpler mechanism to avoid the problem. For example, a GUC
> in master to retain all log files (including backup history files) for X
> days. Or some way for to register the standby with the master so that
> the master knows it's out there, and still needs the logs, even when
> it's not connected.

I propose the new GUC replication_reserved_segments (better name?) which
determines the maximum number of WAL files held for the standby.

Design:

* Only the WAL files which are replication_reserved_segments segments older
than the current write segment can be recycled. IOW, we can think that the
standby which falls replication_reserved_segments segments behind is always
connected to the primary, and the WAL files needed for the active standby
are not recycled.

* Disjoin the standby which falls more than replication_reserved_segment
segments behind, in order to avoid the disk full failure, i.e., the
primary server's PANIC error. This would be only possible in asynchronous
replication case.

Thought?

Regards,

--