Re: Streaming Replication patch for CommitFest 2009-09

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming Replication patch for CommitFest 2009-09
Date: 2009-09-25 10:27:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Fujii Masao wrote:
>>> Ok. I don't think walsender needs to access wal_buffers even then,
>>> though. Once the backend has written the WAL, walsender can well read it
>>> from disk (it will surely be in OS cache still).
>>
>> I think that walsender should not delay sending the XLOG until it has
>> been written by the backend, for performance improvement. Otherwise,
>> XLOG write and send are performed in serial, which would increase a
>> response time. Should those be performed in parallel?
>
> Well, sure, performance is good, but let's keep it simple for now. The
> write() to disk should normally be absorbed by the OS cache and return
> quickly, so it's not a big delay.

Umm... a backend at least should tell walsender the location which it
has written the XLOG before issuing fsync. In the current XLogWrite(),
XLogCtl->LogwrtResult.Write is updated after fsync has been performed.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center