Re: Re: Synch Rep: direct transfer of WAL file from the primary to the standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Re: Synch Rep: direct transfer of WAL file from the primary to the standby
Date: 2009-07-10 01:11:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Kevin
Grittner<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Kevin Grittner<Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
>
>>> I think the interesting bit is when you're at this point and the
>>> connection between the master and slave goes down for a couple
>>> days.  How do you handle that?
>>
>> In the current design of synch rep, you have only to restart the
>> standby after repairing the network.
>
> How long does the interruption need to last to require manual
> intervention?

It depends on when the files required for the standby's recovery
have gone from the primary. If they exist in the primary's archive
forever, there would be no chance to do manual copying of them.

>  Would an automated retry make sense?  (I'd bet that
> more days than not we lose connectivity to at least one of our remote
> sites for at least a few minutes.)

Yes, but I think that it's not postgres' but clusterware's job.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center