Re: Why isn't stats_temp_directory automatically created?

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why isn't stats_temp_directory automatically created?
Date: 2009-04-21 07:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Sorry about the very late response - I've been out of the country and
> generally busy.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> This does not take into account the effect of symlinks as mentioned by
>>> Itakagi Takahiro. I haven't looked at the details, but I don't think it
>>> would be that much more work to deal with it - and as he mentions, this
>>> is a very common usecase.
>>
>> Okey, I'll revise the patch; create also the directory which is
>> referenced by symlink if not present.
>
> Great.

Here is the revised patch; If stats_temp_directory indicates the symlink,
we pursue the chain of symlinks and create the referenced directory.

>>> Also, wouldn't it be better to isolate this to the first time when we
>>> try to create the file - then we don't have to export the symbol?
>>
>> You mean having assign_pgstat_temp_directory() create the
>> directory instead of pgstat_start()? In this case, the directory is
>> created automatically not only at the beginning but also when
>> a configuration file is reloaded. This seems to be better behavior.
>
> No, I meant creating it when we open the file - in pgstat_write_statsfile().

OK, I changed the patch so. Thanks.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
create_stats_temp_dir_0421.patch application/octet-stream 7.9 KB