Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Date: 2009-01-29 01:36:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I feel quite good about this patch now. Given the amount of code churn, it
>> requires testing, and I'll read it through one more time after sleeping over
>> it. Simon, do you see anything wrong with this?
>
> I also read this patch and found something odd. I apologize if I misread it..

If archive recovery fails after it reaches the last valid record
in the last unfilled WAL segment, subsequent recovery might cause
the following fatal error. This is because minSafeStartPoint indicates
the end of the last unfilled WAL segment which subsequent recovery
cannot reach. Is this bug? (I'm not sure how to fix this problem
because I don't understand yet why minSafeStartPoint is required.)

> FATAL: WAL ends before end time of backup dump

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center