Re: Probable problem with pg_standby

From: "Fujii Masao" <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Detlef(dot)Ulherr(at)sun(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probable problem with pg_standby
Date: 2008-11-04 12:50:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Detlef Ulherr <Detlef(dot)Ulherr(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:
> All I did was forcing the primary in a recovery to generate a new timeline.
> The installed version was 8.3.4, but the problem is the same with earlier
> versions as well. It occurred in 8.2 also. this problem is reproducible all
> the times. For my agent code I implemented a workaround which guarantees
> that during a resilvering process the primary and the standby start at t the
> same timeline. But my feeling is that the standby should go to the same
> timeline as the primary when he receives the history file without
> disruption, and by all means it should never stop the recovery unmotivated.
> This will make a full synchronization necessary and in times of larger
> databases, this may cause major downtimes.

I agree with you only if normal archive recovery case (not specified
recovery_target_xid/time). But, in point-in-time recovery case, the standby
cannot continue to redo without stopping. DBA has to reconstruct the
standby (get new online-backup with new timeline ID, locate it on the
standby and restart recovery).

Or, we should deal with normal archive recovery and point-in-time one
separately?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao