Re: proposal - support tsv output format for psql

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - support tsv output format for psql
Date: 2020-12-23 16:38:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/23/20 7:18 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:> I am playing with clipboard
on Linux, and I found a way, how to redirect
> psql output to clipboard via wl-copy or xclip and then to Libre Office.
> Now it looks so best format is tsv
>
> select * from pg_database \g (format=tsv) | wl-paste -t
> application/x-libreoffice-tsvc
>
> Implementation of tsv format should not be hard.
>
> What do you think about this?

I wonder if it would not make more sense to add support for text/csv to
LibreOffice's clipboard code rather than implementing tsv in PostgreSQL.
The tsv format is even less clearly defined than the csv format which at
least has one RFC even if many homebrew their own versions of it.

Andreas