Re: A test for replay of regression tests

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A test for replay of regression tests
Date: 2021-12-04 15:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/3/21 23:21, Thomas Munro wrote:

> Next problem: The below is clearly not the right way to find the
> pg_regress binary and bindir, and doesn't work on Windows or VPATH.
> Any suggestions for how to do this? I feel like something like
> $node->installed_command() or similar logic is needed...
>
> # Run the regression tests against the primary.
> # XXX How should we find the pg_regress binary and bindir?
> system_or_bail("../regress/pg_regress",
> "--bindir=../../bin/psql",
> "--port=" . $node_primary->port,
> "--schedule=../regress/parallel_schedule",
> "--dlpath=../regress",
> "--inputdir=../regress");

TAP tests are passed a path to pg_regress as $ENV{PG_REGRESS}. You
should be using that. On non-MSVC, the path to a non-installed psql is
in this case  "$TESTDIR/../../bin/psql" - this should work for VPATH
builds as well as non-VPATH. On MSVC it's a bit harder - it's
"$top_builddir/$releasetype/psql" but we don't expose that. Perhaps we
should. c.f. commit f4ce6c4d3a

cheers

andrew

--