redundant error messages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: redundant error messages
Date: 2020-11-05 12:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A few client tools duplicate error messages already provided by libpq,
such as

pg_rewind: fatal: could not connect to server: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

pg_basebackup: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to
server: No such file or directory

psql: error: could not connect to server: could not connect to server:
No such file or directory

The psql case is actually a regression introduced in PG12, but the other
two appear to be ancient.

Other client tools provide a different error message so in aggregate it
looks like this:

createdb: error: could not connect to database template1: could not
connect to server: No such file or directory

The attached patch removes the redundant message from the client tools.
I suppose it's a bit dubious because there is no guarantee what the
level of detail the message supplied by libpq has. But I think these
few cases are not particularly hard to keep in sync.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-redundant-error-messages-in-client-tools.patch text/plain 2.0 KB