Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporal query processing with range types

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Moser <pitiz29a(at)gmail(dot)com>, Johann Gamper <gamper(at)inf(dot)unibz(dot)it>, Michael Böhlen <boehlen(at)ifi(dot)uzh(dot)ch>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anton Dignös <anton(dot)dignoes(at)unibz(dot)it>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Temporal query processing with range types
Date: 2017-01-18 02:57:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/13/17 9:22 AM, Peter Moser wrote:
> The goal of temporal aligners and normalizers is to split ranges to allow a
> reduction from temporal queries to their non-temporal counterparts.
> Splitting
> ranges is necessary for temporal query processing. Temporal aligners and
> normalizer may then be used as building-blocks for any temporal query
> construct.

I would need to see the exact definitions of these constructs. Please
send some documentation.

> We have published two papers, that contain formal definitions and
> related work
> for the temporal aligner and normalizer. Please see [1] and [2].

I don't have access to those.

>> I think there are probably many interesting applications for normalizing
>> or otherwise adjusting ranges. I'd like to see an overview and
>> consideration of other applications.
>
> Please see the attached file adjustment.sql for some interesting
> applications.

That's surely interesting, but without knowing what these operations are
supposed to do, I can only reverse engineer and guess.

>> Ideally, I'd like to see these things implemented as some kind of
>> user-space construct, like an operator or function. I think we'd need a
>> clearer definition of what it is they do before we can evaluate that.
>
> Can you please explain what you mean by "user-space construct" in this case.

Implement them using the extensibility features, such as a user-defined
operator. I don't know if it's possible, but it's something to consider.

Using common terms such as ALIGN and NORMALIZE for such a specific
functionality seems a bit wrong.