Re: Column Name parameter problem

From: vishal saberwal <vishalsaberwal(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Zerolo <tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Name parameter problem
Date: 2005-09-30 00:09:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

hi tomas,
The solution you sent worked, but i have another rissue related to this.

I am trying to create a stored procedure that can accept TableName,
ColumnName as parameter and return teh records pertaining to them.
This way, i will not need to make the procedures for every table.
But the problem is, I do not know the return type (number, name and type of
columns).

create or replace function ptest_Sort_Select(varchar, varchar) returns setof
RECORD as $$
DECLARE
res RECORD;
BEGIN
for res in
execute 'select * from ' || $1 || ' order by ' || $2 || ' asc'
loop
return next res;
end loop;
return;
END;
$$ language plpgsql strict;

I know cursors could help, but I need to use stored procedures, so as to
avoid open statements (outside procedure) like
BEGIN;
select select test_select('funcur','ptest','c');
fetch all in funcur;
COMMIT;