Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Date: 2023-06-06 20:00:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/6/23 3:56 PM, Joe Conway wrote:

>>> Or perhaps "builtin" or "postgresql".
>>
>> Either OK by me
>
> Same here

Since we're bikeshedding, "postgresql" or "builtin" could make it seem
to a (app) developer that these may be recommended options, as we're
trusting PostgreSQL to make the best choices for us. Granted, v16 is
(theoretically) defaulting to ICU, so that choice is made, but the
unsuspecting developer could make a switch based on that naming.

However, I don't have a strong alternative -- I understand the concern
about "internal", so I'd be OK with "postgresql" unless a better name
appears.

Jonathan