Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL

From: Farhan Husain <russoue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Abnormal performance difference between Postgres and MySQL
Date: 2009-02-25 21:32:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Farhan Husain <russoue(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Initially, it was the default value (32MB). Later I played with that
> value
> > thinking that it might improve the performance. But all the values
> resulted
> > in same amount of time.
>
> Well, if you set it back to what we consider to be a reasonable value,
> rerun EXPLAIN ANALYZE, and post that plan, it might help us tell you
> what to do next.
>
> ...Robert

Right now I am running the query again with 32MB work_mem. It is taking a
long time as before. However, I have kept the following values unchanged:

shared_buffers = 32MB # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB
temp_buffers = 1024MB # min
800kB

Do you think I should change them to something else?

Thanks,

--
Mohammad Farhan Husain
Research Assistant