Re: Statistics Import and Export

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Statistics Import and Export
Date: 2024-03-29 15:05:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2024-03-29 at 05:32 -0400, Corey Huinker wrote:
> That is fairly close to what I came up with per our conversation
> (attached below), but I really like the att_stats_arginfo construct
> and I definitely want to adopt that and expand it to a third
> dimension that flags the fields that cannot be null. I will
> incorporate that into v15.

Sounds good. I think it cuts down on the boilerplate.

> 0002:
> - All relstats and attrstats calls are now their own statement
> instead of a compound statement
> - moved the archive TOC entry from post-data back to SECTION_NONE (as
> it was modeled on object COMMENTs), which seems to work better.
> - remove meta-query in favor of more conventional query building
> - removed all changes to fe_utils/

Can we get a consensus on whether the default should be with stats or
without? That seems like the most important thing remaining in the
pg_dump changes.

There's still a failure in the pg_upgrade TAP test. One seems to be
ordering, so perhaps we need to ORDER BY the attribute number. Others
seem to be missing relstats and I'm not sure why yet. I suggest doing
some manual pg_upgrade tests and comparing the before/after dumps to
see if you can reproduce a smaller version of the problem.

Regards,
Jeff Davis