Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value

From: "BJ Taylor" <btaylor(at)propertysolutions(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing chunk number 0 for toast value
Date: 2008-09-24 21:46:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

We are using version 8.3.1. And to be precise, when I started the vacuum
(analyze), I started it as a cron job to run daily around midnight. The
next day I came in and checked on it and it was still running. Not thinking
that it would take more than a full 24 hours to run, I let it be, and the
next day I came in and the server started acting weird. I believe the
vacuum process continued to run, and a second vacuum process was started.
The server became unstable, and refused incoming connections. At which
point, I killed all vacuum processes, and restarted postgresql. I believe
it was somewhere during this process that the database became corrupted. I
am not certain what happens when two vacuum processes run at the same time.
That may have been the problem, or it may not have. Or it may have been
that I killed the vacuum process in the middle of what it was doing. One
way or another, the problem that we have now, is that we are unable to get a
dump of the database for backups, and the database seems less stable than it
was previously (dropping connections, and refusing connections seemingly at
random).

BJ