Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?

From: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Sergei Kornilov <sk(at)zsrv(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using scalar function as set-returning: bug or feature?
Date: 2018-02-09 08:02:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.02.2018 10:47, Sergei Kornilov wrote:
> Hello
>
>> select into b from my_insert('from func atx');
> You missed select something into b. For example,
> select ret into b from my_insert('from func atx') as ret;
>
> Using scalar function in from is not bug.
> Silent assigning NULL for variables in "into" not matches same in "select"... I think better would be raise warning.
>
> regards, Sergei
Thank you.
Really the problem is caused by empty source list for INTO.
If I rewrite query as

    select my_insert into b from my_insert('from func atx');

then it works as expected.
But I wonder if the original statement should be considered as error or
at least we should produce warning for such empty projections?

--
Konstantin Knizhnik
The Russian Postgres Company