Re: BUG #4613: intarray_del_elem returns an invalid empty array (for nullif comparison)

From: "Valentine Gogichashvili" <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4613: intarray_del_elem returns an invalid empty array (for nullif comparison)
Date: 2009-01-14 11:18:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thanks for a rapid response,
Of course we are not waiting for the fix, and we had to use icount() call in
the PL/pgSQL code (array_upper(array, 1) also did work on the productive
system, returning 1 instead of 0, but I could not reproduce the issue with
any simple select statement). With nullif() call I could have kept
everything in the scope of the SQL statement, and stay in SLQ language,
without the need to use PL/pgSQL.

In the discussion of empty arrays I personally would go to the side of
Merlin Moncure with his '{{}, {}}' proposal.

I think, that the current approach goes in contradiction with the contract
for in and out functions. And the object that is represented as '{}' should
not have different behavior depending on the way, this object is created.

Anyway I can imagine, that as resize_intArrayType(ArrayType* a, int num) is
being used only by the functions working with one dimension integer arrays,
it could return a really empty array with construct_empty_array() if the num
is 0 instead of doing the resize as it is done now.

With best regards,

-- Valentine Gogichashvili