Re: Change GUC hashtable to use simplehash?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change GUC hashtable to use simplehash?
Date: 2023-12-19 20:23:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2023-12-19 at 16:23 +0700, John Naylor wrote:
> That wasn't the next place I thought to look (that would be the
> strcmp
> call), but something like this could be worthwhile.

The reason I looked here is that the inner while statement (to find the
chunk size) looked out of place and possibly slow, and there's a
bitwise trick we can use instead.

My original test case is a bit too "macro" of a benchmark at this
point, so I'm not sure it's a good guide for these individual micro-
optimizations.

Regards,
Jeff Davis