composite type cast and select statement

From: "Yura Gal" <yuragal(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: composite type cast and select statement
Date: 2008-08-05 17:30:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

I would like to get effect of selecting table record when construct a
composite type.

CREATE TYPE "chains"."foo" AS (
id INTEGER,
bar INTEGER
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION construct_foo(INTEGER,INTEGER) RETURNS
chains.foo AS $$
DECLARE
f chains.foo;
BEGIN
f.id := $1;
f.bar := $2;
RETURN f;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SELECT * FROM construct_foo(10,20);
id bar
10 20

However I do not like idea to write a function similar to
"construct_foo" for each composite type I have.
I tried to solve this problem through selection of composite type
literal input, and I got following:

SELECT '(10,20)'::chains.foo;
foo
(10,20)

The only query I got desirable result is:
SELECT (t.foo).* FROM(SELECT '(10,20)'::chains.foo) t;
id bar
10 20

Is there a way to obtain the same result without use of the nested query?

--
Best regards. Yuri.
mailto: yuragal(at)gmail(dot)com