OpenSSH, Windows Clients, and Incoming Tunnels

From: lender(at)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu (Paul A(dot) Lender)
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OpenSSH, Windows Clients, and Incoming Tunnels
Date: 2001-07-10 17:41:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Folks

I've got the built-in OpenSSH (2.2.0) running on FreeBSD 4.2, and I
connect to it from Windows with SSH Security Corp.'s SSH Secure Shell
2.4. As a terminal, it works fine.

I want to use this product to encrypt data between a PostgreSQL
backend and Windows clients. The Windows clients use ODBC to talk to
PostgreSQL.

When I define an OUTGOING tunnel, it works fine. For example:
3333:freebsd.box:5432. PostgreSQL listens and sends at port 5432 and
the Windows ODBC driver looks for PostgreSQL at 127.0.0.1, port 3333.

When I define an INCOMING tunnel (same local_port:server:remote_port),
it appears to work fine, but the 'BSD box console displays an error
message 3 times:

sshd[436]: error: Hm, dispatch protocol error: type 80 plen 33

The log, though listing this same error (3 times), does not indicate
any other problems. This error only appears if I define an incoming
tunnel in the Windows SSH client.

My application works (quite well), but I'm worried that the incoming
data stream, which will contain sensitive data, is not encrypted.

By the way, the Van Dyke product (SecureCRT) does the exact same
thing.

Can anyone advise?

Thankyou in advance...

-- Paul Lender

Paul A. Lender
Univ. of Minnesota Dept. Orthopaedic Surgery
lender(at)tc(dot)umn(dot)edu