Re: BUG #4960: Unexpected timestamp rounding

From: Matthias Cesna <matthias(dot)cesna(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4960: Unexpected timestamp rounding
Date: 2009-08-01 15:41:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Tom, dear Kevin

In fact "show integer_datetimes;" returns "off". As such there is a perfect
reason for this rounding. I assumed wrongly this being a bug. Sorry :-)

I understand as well your arguments on why not to use such a value for
infinity. The reason why I used it was because I ported this data from a
mainframe DB2 database where this value by tradition represented a high
value and NULL values not being used for compatibility in regards to the
mapped data type in PL1 and pure text-file processing of the same data. In
these programs the length of the year part of a timestamp is limited to 4
digits. This is where I noted the rounding which had occurred as a result of
my data imports into Postgresql.

Thanks again for your information and sorry for the disturbance :-)
Regards,
Matthias