Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?

From: David Geier <geidav(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Lukas Fittl <lukas(at)fittl(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Maciek Sakrejda <m(dot)sakrejda(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduce timing overhead of EXPLAIN ANALYZE using rdtsc?
Date: 2023-01-26 11:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 1/23/23 21:30, Andres Freund wrote:
> That's been the case since my first post in the thread :). Mainly, it seems
> easier to detect underflow cases during subtraction that way. And the factor
> of 2 in range doesn't change a whole lot.
I just realized it the other day :).
>>> I haven't yet pushed the pg_test_timing (nor it's small prerequisite)
>>> patch.
>>>
>>> I've attached those two patches. Feel free to include them in your series if
>>> you want, then the CF entry (and thus cfbot) makes sense again...
>> I'll include them in my new patch set and also have a careful look at them.

I reviewed the prerequisite patch which introduces
INSTR_TIME_SET_SECONDS(), as well as the pg_test_timing patch. Here my
comments:

- The prerequisite patch looks good me.

- By default, the test query in the pg_test_timing doc runs serially.
What about adding SET max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0 to make sure
it really always does (e.g. on a system with different settings for
parallel_tuple_cost / parallel_setup_cost)? Otherwise, the numbers will
be much more flaky.

- Why have you added a case distinction for diff == 0? Have you
encountered this case? If so, how? Maybe add a comment.

- To further reduce overhead we could call INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT()
multiple times. But then again: why do we actually care about the
per-loop time? Why not instead sum up diff and divide by the number of
iterations to exclude all the overhead in the first place?

- In the computation of the per-loop time in nanoseconds you can now use
INSTR_TIME_GET_NANOSEC() instead of INSTR_TIME_GET_DOUBLE() * NS_PER_S.

The rest looks good to me. The rebased patches are part of the patch set
I sent out yesterday in reply to another mail in this thread.

--
David Geier
(ServiceNow)