SQL Dummy Needs Help

From: "Alder" <Terrence(dot)Branscombe(at)gems8(dot)gov(dot)bc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Dummy Needs Help
Date: 2001-03-09 19:05:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm pretty new to SQL and can't figure out how to write what should be a
simple query of two tables. Could someone here possibly help me out?

Table 1 has two fields I'm interested in: TITLE_NO and EFFECT_DATE
Table 2 also has two fields of interest: TITLE_NO and PAIDTO_DATE

TITLE_NO is unique in Table 1, meaning each TITLE will have a unique
EFFECT_DATE. Table 2 represents an accounting history of each TITLE, so for
each TITLE_NO there may be one or more PAIDTO_DATE values. In both Tables
the _DATE fields are stored as 9-character strings in the fomat YYYYMMDD.
In all cases, the MM and DD values in Table 2 should be identical with those
in Table 1.

My intention is to produce a list that will contain the TITLE_NO of each
TITLE where the MMDD value for EFFECT_DATE differ from any of the
PAIDTO_DATE values for that TITLE_NO. The list must contain ONLY the
PAIDTO_DATE values that differ, and the corresponding TITLE_NO.

Sorry I can't explain this a little more technically, but if anyone can
advise me, that would be fabulous.

Thanks,
Terry