createdb fails - Newbie

From: "Christian Anton" <christiananton(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: createdb fails - Newbie
Date: 2001-03-03 16:27:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good day all,

I'm a newbie running latest distro on Linux (RH 7.0, 2.2). I used the RH
supplied RPM's at first and had no problems excpet a need to identify data
directory. Then after reading an interesting article comparing GNU DBMS's
(http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/1224/2/ ) I decided to
try download source and compile myself, with Perl support. Now I cannot
createdb because libpq.so.2.1 cannot be found even though it's in my lib
dir.

What puzzles me is when I used th RPM's there was no lib dir. How can I fix
this and perhaps more importantly, what the heck does this file do?

Christian Anton