user and DB confusion

From: "arnuld uttre" <arnuld(dot)mizong(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: user and DB confusion
Date: 2008-10-13 09:38:50
Lists: pgsql-general

I created a new user and then a new DB with that user, where the user
is the owner:

-bash-3.00$ createuser -d -P
Enter name of user to add: arnuld
Enter password for new user:
Enter it again:
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
CREATE USER

[arnuld(at)dune ~]$ createdb -O arnuld -U arnuld arnuldforum
CREATE DATABASE

when I pass this username "arnuld" and the password for "arnuld" to
phpBB3 (for installation) it says "could not connect to database"
while I can connect to database without any problem. I don't
understand why phpbb says there is something wrong with DB settings

[arnuld(at)dune ~]$ psql arnuldforum
Welcome to psql 7.4.17, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit