Development question

From: Leon Miller-Out <leon(at)comvision(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Development question
Date: 2005-02-13 19:45:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi. I'm well on my way to making a working Window menu (which I guess
is only necessary in OS X, but might be nice in other OSes as well).
The Window menu will list all of the open windows and allow the user to
switch between them. I was given a good head start by the existence of
the windowList "frames" in frmMain. I'm now at the point of needing
some communication between the various other types of pgFrames and
frmMain, and I'm not sure how to best set that up. Here are my specific
questions:

Since the frames list is in frmMain, I either need to A) make the
contents of the frames list available to the other various pgFrames so
they can build their Window menus, or B) build the Window menu in
frmMain and make it available to the pgFrames to add to their menu
bars. I'm leaning towards B (and any input is appreciated), but in
either case the pgFrames need to be able to call a function in frmMain.
Hence, they'll need a reference to frmMain. It looks like the pgFrames
get a reference as part of their constructor:

pgFrame(wxFrame *parent, const wxString &title, const wxPoint&
pos=wxDefaultPosition, const wxSize& size=wxDefaultSize, long
flags=wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE)
: wxFrame(parent, -1, title, pos, size, flags) { changed=false;
recentFileMenu=0; windowMenu=0; }

How can I take the *parent reference and save it for future use?

Thanks! I apologize for being such a n00b. :-) If anyone can help me
out off-list, maybe we can do this without bothering everyone else.

Leon