Re: remove some STATUS_* symbols

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remove some STATUS_* symbols
Date: 2020-06-11 13:55:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-01-16 13:56, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:50 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> Thanks, that looks fine. I am still not sure whether the second patch
>> adding an enum via ProcWaitStatus improves the code readability
>> though, so my take would be to discard it for now. Perhaps others
>> think differently, I don't know.
>
> IMHO, custom enums for each particular case would be a big improvement
> over supposedly-generic STATUS codes. It makes it clearer which values
> are possible in each code path, and it comes out nicer in the
> debugger, too.

Given this feedback, I would like to re-propose the original patch,
attached again here.

After this, the use of the remaining STATUS_* symbols will be contained
to the frontend and backend libpq code, so it'll be more coherent.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Remove-STATUS_WAITING.patch text/plain 12.2 KB