PG on a web-server...issues..and some general questions on PG deployment

From: sk(at)pobox(dot)com (Sanjay Arora)
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG on a web-server...issues..and some general questions on PG deployment
Date: 2000-12-21 22:23:38
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi All,

What are the issues one should take into consideration, when deploying
PG on a webserver? I am listing some that come to my mind...please add
others and correct me where I am wrong.

1. All connections to be made through a nobody user being called
through servlets. Postgres user for only maintainence purposes.

2. 10-15 pooled connections being called by servlets/beans, high
number of connections through non-use of pooling wherever available to
be avoided.

Nothing else comes to my mind...suggestions?

Some questions:

1. Any other security measures that should be taken? Any pointers to
any resources?

2. I am giving connection details in my servlets and they are visible
in HTML source of my pages. Is this a cause of concern? Should I write
wrapper servlets (hardcoded with connection details for each site)
that call my generic database access servlets?

3. Is PHP/Postgres module capable of server side connection pooling?

4. How do I get postgres operational statistics from the /proc
directory of RH Linux 6.2? Or what method do I use to know when PG is
finding load heavy? I want to create a proactive method which should
tell me my PG related load probs in ample time for me to code other
alternatives.

5. How good is PG on large databases deployed for datawarehousing
(larger than 2 GB filesize on ext3 filesystem)? I read a FAQ which
states that PG performance degrades rapidly when database size
increases. It was a comparison between MySQL, PG & Oracle. Any
comments?

6. Do people deploy PG databases, maybe second daemons or daemons on
second server for PG logs themselves, instead of processing text logs?
;-)) Wonder if it is even sensible...or am I talking pure non-sense?
;-))

With best regards.
Sanjay.