Re: createdb

From: Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com>
To: bartvde(at)xs4all(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createdb
Date: 2004-01-09 22:49:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I think you have a problem with the installation. You MUSN'T install
postgresql with root account. The user of the installation is the
administrator of the database and you can create database with it
without password (till you give one to it).

Bruno

bartvde(at)xs4all(dot)nl wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I got it up and running with:
>
>[root(at)localhost init.d]# ./postgresql start
>Initializing database: [ OK ]
>Starting postgresql service: [ OK ]
>
>But now I want to create a database, but I cannot do this with the root
>user. What is the best way to do this?
>
>I tried with user postgresql but what password to use?
>
>createdb --username=postgresql mydb
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Best regards,
>Bart
>

>>On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 22:39:09 +0100,
>> bartvde(at)xs4all(dot)nl wrote:
>>

>>>Hi list,
>>>
>>>I just downloaded the source from PostgreSQL 7.4.1 and installed it on
>>>Red
>>>Hat 9. Install was succesfull. After this I installed PostGIS 0.8.0.
>>>
>>>To test the PostGIS install I need the perform the following command:
>>>
>>>createlang plpgsql postgistest
>>>
>>>But on performing this I get the following error:
>>>
>>>psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>>> Is the server running locally and accepting
>>> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>>>createlang: external error
>>>
>>>Anybody have an idea what could be the problem?
>>>

>>Most likely the server isn't running.

>>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

Bruno LEVEQUE
System Engineer
SARL NET6D
bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com