Re: PreparedStatement parameters and mutable objects

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PreparedStatement parameters and mutable objects
Date: 2004-01-07 17:25:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver,

I think we are free to do it either way. I suspect that most jdbc
drivers delay this work until the actual call to the server.

I am curious why you are choosing to optimize this particular aspect?
It seems the bigger win is on query results where the common code path
does the following: read from socket, put value into a new byte[],
convert byte[] to a String, convert String to required object/type.
There are three copies in different forms of the same data being
generated for each value. Ugh!

I have long wanted to fix this, but it always ends up being too big a
project for the time I have to work on it. Have you given any thought
to this bigger problem?

Also, your email below indicates to me that you are trying to do this
with the old V2 protocol methods of executing queries. The new V3
protocol provides a much, much better interface to the driver to do this
more efficiently. Have you looked at using the V3 protocol features to
execute the prepared statements?

thanks,
--Barry