Re: checking update/insert return

From: Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com>
To: "Marcus Andree S(dot) Magalhaes" <marcus(dot)magalhaes(at)vlinfo(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: checking update/insert return
Date: 2004-01-05 21:22:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Why do you not use the serial data type : SERIAL ?

EX. :
create table mytable (
id SERIAL,
name text); <- or anything else

So, when you want to insert data your request becomes :
insert into mytable (name) values ($name)

And you are sure that id is unique (you do not need your loop, your
tests, ...).

Bruno

--
Bruno LEVEQUE